Dallas County “Old Red” Courthouse Restoration
Complete interior restoration of the four-story “Old Red” Courthouse to the original 1892 finishes. Restoration includes the fabrication and installation of the original since-removed grand stairway. Project also includes replacement of wood doors, frames, transoms, and hardware, as well as the complete restoration of interior plaster, including gypsum veneer plaster, three-coat lime plaster to match, acoustical plaster and ornamental plaster. Painting includes new paint finishes throughout, as well as gilding and gold-leaf painting. The project includes marble wainscot and architectural carpentry at the courtroom including jury seating, judge’s benches, wall paneling and railing. HVAC upgrades include new air-handling units and system tie-in to the George Allen Courthouse cooling tower. Electrical upgrades to the building include new switchgear and total ornamental lighting installation. Thos. S. Byrne, Ltd. value-engineered this project to meet Dallas County’s project budget, while still maintaining Texas Historical Preservation standards and requirements.
Architect: James Pratt
Size: 85,000 SF
Location: Dallas, TX